With the advent of technology, vacuum cleaners have also improved. Cleaning used to be extremely difficult before. Many items such as mops, dusting feathers, brooms, etc. were required for a spotless cleaning interior, but times have changed. Now just a good vacuum cleaner is all you need to get your ideal clean and untarnished space. Even with vacuum cleaners, there are several types to choose from. However, the main fight is always whether the choice is going to be a cord or cordless vacuum cleaner. Each one has its strong points, its demerits, and its most ideal place to be used.
In this article, we will discuss in-depth all the aspects of corded and cordless vacuum cleaner. So that in the end, you can easily know the best choice of vacuum for you.
Why Buy a Cordless Vacuum Cleaner?
Cordless vacuum cleaners are the new hype in the vacuum cleaner world. They are battery-powered, portable, and are lighter in weight. Their small size makes it easier for them to be stored, and thus they are ideal for small apartments. Their lighter weight makes them easier to move around in the house. They can also be converted to useful handheld vacuums, so you can use them in small and difficult to reach places as well. Of course, having no cord at all helps the portability.
However, cordless vacuum cleaners are not a great option for in-depth or longer cleaning periods. If you have heavy carpets or rugs at your homes, then these types of vacuum cleaners will not be very efficient and will not be cleaned properly. This is because they have batteries inside of them that need charging frequently. So lengthy cleaning will involve a lot of breaks and frequent charging. Because of the batteries, the power and suction are not also very good. Cordless vacuum cleaners also have less dirt capacity. So, if you are not often at your house and just need a quick clean sometimes, the cordless vacuum cleaners are the ideal choice for you.
Why Buy a Corded Vacuum Cleaner?
Corded stick vacuum cleaners are the traditional vacuum cleaners that generally come to mind whenever we talk about vacuum cleaners. They are larger, and their motor, filters, and dust bags are mostly attached to a separate unit. As the name suggests, you have to plug the vacuum cleaner into a power supply, and you can use it for as long you want. Their large dust capacity and strong suction power also help you to clean your house to perfection. Since they don’t have batteries and are connected to a power supply, you can use them for longer times without hindrance or delay.
They can be used for in-depth cleanliness. However, the vacuum cleaners are not as portable. Their large size makes them difficult to carry up and down the stairs and is not ideal for older adults or people with different back problems. Having a cord also makes it difficult since you have to plug out the cord and plug it again in every room. They are also difficult to store due to the long cord and large canister. However, if you live in a large house with kids or pets and have to clean spills, crumbs, hair, and dust frequently, this type of vacuum is ideal for you.
Pros and Cons of Cordless Vacuum Cleaners
As you have already read before, there are many pros and cons of cordless vacuum cleaners and many reasons why you should or should not buy them. Now, we will discuss these points in a little more detail to clear up all your misunderstandings.
- Weight: A prominent point that is common in all cordless vacuum cleaners is that they are light in weight. They generally don’t have a separate canister, and their motor is attached to the stick. They mostly weigh almost 3-4 kg, which makes them portable and easier to move. You can carry it easily in your hand and clean whatever place you want, even if it hard to reach corners or under tables.
- Use as handheld vacuums: The cordless vacuums can easily be converted into handheld vacuums. Since they are battery-powered, you can use them anywhere, such as in cars, on sofas, cushions, shelves, and many more. They are ideal if you have pets since they can be used to clean up the hair easily. You can also use them for cleaning crumbs or dust from tables or floors.
- Convenient Storage: cordless vacuums are ideal for apartments or offices with limited storage space. This is not only because of their compact size but also because of the absence of any long cord. You can just put them in any small corner and charge them easily.
- Portability: The small size and cordless body make them extremely portable. They can be used to clean the stairs, the lounge, or the veranda easily. They are extremely light to carry and are great for the elderly or people with back problems.
- Limited Battery Life: Low battery time is the biggest setback of the cordless vacuums. The battery time is mostly not more than 5-10 minutes, meaning that you have to recharge them continuously. This affects the most, especially if you have a large home or you want to do lengthy cleaning.
- Lengthy Charging Times: there are some vacuum cleaners that take an hour or a day to charge. This is especially infuriating if the battery dies in the middle of your work.
- Dust Capacity: since the motor and dust bag is connected mostly on the vacuum cleaner’s stick, they have extremely less dust capacity. They can only store dust up to 0.7 liters. The vacuum needs to be cleaned frequently; otherwise, it decreases the efficiency of the vacuum cleaner itself. You will also have to clean or replace the filters continuously.
- Less Suction Power: the cordless vacuum cleaners are generally powered by a battery, reducing their suction power. This means that these vacuums can only be used for cleaning crumbs or dust, or hair. They are not suitable for spills or doing any kind of in-depth cleaning. However, cordless vacuums with lithium batteries are generally stronger and have stronger suction power.
- Expensive in Cost: cordless vacuums are generally more expensive when you compare cordless vacuum cleaners with them. They may also appear to be pricier since they are mostly used for quick cleans and don’t do the proper job. If you want any additional features such as a powerful battery or larger dust capacity, you will have to invest more money.
Pros and Cons of Corded Vacuum Cleaners
Corded vacuum cleaners are the traditional vacuum cleaners. However, many changes have been made in them to make them more technologically advanced. They have many strong points that make them attractive and some weak points that may make you turn away from them. These points are the major reason people are confused whether to buy cord or cordless vacuum cleaner. Some of these major pros and cons are as follows.
- Clean for Longer Times: the best corded vacuum cleaners are simple to use. Just plug them into a power supply and clean away. Since they don’t have any batteries, you can use them for as long as you want. Because of this, they are good for larger homes and buildings.
- Strong Suction Power: the best corded vacuums have a strong suction power. Their motor is in the canister that is attached to the long hose. Since there is no shortage of power, the suction power is extremely high if we compare cordless vacuum with them. They can be used to clean carpets, woolen rugs, and spills as well, making them shiny and just like new.
- Larger Dust Capacity: the corded stick vacuum cleaners have a large dust capacity of up to 2.3 liters. They can suck larger amounts of dust and can hold them without any leakage. Because of this, you don’t have to change the dust bags or clean them out frequently. This decreases its maintenance cost.
- Increased Efficiency: most corded vacuum cleaners come with many additional tools that help clean different kinds of places. There are crevice tools for cleaning the crevices and corners. Because of their larger body, you can convert them into any kind of cleaning tool you want.
- Clean wherever You Want: You can use the corded vacuums to clean everywhere you can. Since they have additional tools, you can clean many places with them. Their long cord of up to 6-8 meters also helps in this.
- Feasible Cost: The corded stick vacuum cleaners are generally inexpensive if you compare cordless vacuum cleaners with them. There are many types to choose from, and in all of these costs, you are sure to find an ideal vacuum cleaner that will make your house spick and span.
- Heavyweight: the canister attached to the corded vacuums makes them extremely heavy and difficult to carry around. They generally weigh almost 7-8 kg. This may cause some hindrance when you have a lot of rooms or the stairs to clean.
- Decreased maneuverability: the large size and heavyweight makes them extremely difficult to carry around. Also, having a long cord makes it difficult to carry around since it always comes in the way or is too short of reaching a certain place. You have to plug and unplug it frequently in different places.
- Difficult to store: the large size makes it difficult to store, especially in smaller apartments. Also, they have a long cord that has to be coiled around the body every time to want to place it somewhere. If you have a vacuum that doesn’t have a removable hose, then the storage becomes even more difficult since that hose comes in the way of being stored in the corner.
Is a Cordless Vacuum Cleaner Good for You or Corded?
A question will always arise when you are looking at the different kinds of vacuums. Should I buy a cord or cordless vacuum cleaner? You have already read the pros and cons of both cordless and corded vacuum cleaners. If we were to summarize the points from above, these are the results.
You should buy a corded vacuum cleaner if you have the following specifications.
- You have a large house or space to clean.
- You want to use the vacuum for longer times.
- You want in-depth cleaning.
- There are many corners and crevices or pieces of furniture in your house.
- You don’t have the time to empty the dust bag frequently.
- You don’t want to buy many cleaning instruments and are more of a many-in-one kind of person.
- You don’t have a lot of money to spend on vacuum cleaners.
- You have pets and want to remove hairs from your carpets, sofas, chairs, and rugs frequently.
You can buy a cordless vacuum cleaner if you have the following preferences.
- The person using the vacuum cleaner is elderly or has back problems, so he can’t pick heavy instruments.
- You have a small apartment and less storage space.
- You don’t stay at home for longer times and just want to do some light cleaning.
- You don’t like long cords and think that they are a hassle to handle.
- You have some extra cash to spare.
- You can frequently change the dust bags.
- You don’t have any rugs or carpets at home and just want to clean the hard floor.
- You want to convert your vacuum as a handheld vacuum to clean the surface of sofas, cushions, or shelves.
These points will surely disperse your confusion regarding the confusion of buying cord or cordless vacuum cleaner.
The article concludes that many different kinds of vacuums are in the market with many different desirable and exciting features. a person can easily get confused by the multiple choices. If you are thinking of whether to buy a cord or cordless vacuum, then there is no hard and fast rule for that. You should buy the one that fits your desire and requirements the most and would be the most convenient for you when you clean. And after you’ve done that, there is only one thing left to do: go and buy it, of course!