There are many models of vacuum cleaners in the market. Each of these vacuum cleaners has its unique features. The reason for buying a vacuum cleaner is apparent; it is to help cleaning better. Using dust brushes and brooms releases more dust in the air than cleaning it. On the other hand, a vacuum cleaner sucks the dust and collects, making it a better cleaning tool. However, that may not be enough. To purify the air completely, some companies have developed HEPA filter vacuums.
They purify the air completely; these filters are perfect as they catch the dust particles completely. We will know about them in detail as you progress through this article.
What is a HEPA Filter Vacuum Cleaner?
HEPA is an acronym for High-Efficiency Particulate Air. Vacuums without any specific filters tend to release some of the dust in the sir. It means that no matter how much you vacuum, some of the dirt will remain in the air. This is not at all good for people who have various kinds of allergies.
HEPA filters can do so. They can suck almost 99.9 percent of particles. Their size is less than 0.3 microns. This means that they are great for people with allergies as the HEPA filters eliminate dander, dust, and other allergens. People with respiratory problems can also use this easily.
Vacuums with HEPA filters are great for people with allergies. HEPA filters are set as a standard by the Department of Energy of the US government. This was first developed as a precaution against nuclear pollutants in the 1940s, and now it has made its way to our homes and offices.
It would be best to buy a HEPA filter that the vacuum states HEPA filter and not HEPA filter-like. The filters used are passed through many tests and are assigned a number that proves their efficiency. You might want to see that number before you buy them. Only the filters with 99.97 percent efficiency at 0.3 microns can be called the genuine HEOA filters.
Another essential thing to know is that whether the vacuum is bagged or bagless, HEPA filters can be present in both, and the absence or presence of a bag does not hinder its efficiency. There are some commercial environments in which using HEPA filters are standard practice. If you use other vacuums in such places, you may violate the protocols and have to pay a fine.
How HEPA Filter Vacuum Cleaner Works?
To understand the concept behind using a HEPA filter hoover, you first need to understand a vacuum cleaner
‘s basic work.
All vacuum cleaner’s basic working, be they upright, canister, handheld, bagless, or bagged, is the same. The motor sucks the dust from the nozzle and creates a vacuum inside it. The dust and debris from the floor are stirred and released by brushes attached to the nozzle. The vacuum sucks the debris, and it reaches the dust bag or canister. The debris is collected in the bag, and the air is recirculated in the room.
If proper filters are not attached to the vacuum, then the dust will also be released again into the room. Ordinary vacuum cleaners mostly collect large dirt, pet hair, and other debris from the ground. It might be sufficient for some people. However, if you want to collect even the smallest particles, it may not be enough. You will need something that will capture even the particles’ tiniest and don’t release them back to the air.
For this, we have the HEPA filters. Their efficiency has even been approved by a study from the Journal of the Air and Waste Management System. But HEPA filter alone does not do all the work. It would be best if you also had an air-tight container that will contain all the dust inside after it has been collected. The motor’s exhaust should also be perfectly sealed. If the company cannot make such a vacuum that fulfills all these roles and retains the dust properly, the vacuum it produces will be useless.
The vacuum cleaners with HEPA filters may have many usages, but their cost is slightly high. Even then, you should make sure that the dust bag and exhaust are adequately sealed; otherwise, your precious money will go down the drain.
How to Choose a HEPA Filter Vacuum Cleaner?
There are many vacuum cleaners in the market that claim to be HEP vacuum cleaner. But how to know which one is real and which one isn’t? Here we will discuss some points that will tell you what you should lookout for a while buying a HEPA vacuum.
- S-Class or HEPA Filtration: There are two classes of HEPA filters that are generally used in vacuums. In general terms, they may seem identical, but they are slightly different according to European standards. HEPA filters are said to clean 99.95% of the environment from 0.2-micron particles. On the other hand, S-class filters 99.99% of 0.3 microns and larger particles.
- Properly Sealed System: the HEPA filtration in a vacuum is useless if the dust bag and motors are not sealed tightly as they will allow the collected dust to escape. Other than this, leaked air means that the suction power is also decreased. You should make sure that the lid and filter have gaskets or rubber seals around them for an air-tight seal.
- Best Performance: the best way to test if a vacuum cleaner has a good performance or not is either testing yourself or reading the customer’s reviews. Some shops allow you to check vacuums first and then buy them to opt for those shops. Also, there are many websites such as Amazon where people leave reviews. You can search them up and know which HEPA filter vacuum is the best for you.
- High-level Air Flow: airflow is the air that picks the dust through the valves, and it is used to suck dust. Good filtration occurs when the airflow level is high. So you should check this before buying any vacuum.
- Power: you should know how much energy your vacuum is using up when it is cleaning. It is generally measured in watts or voltage. This entirely depends on electricity and has no relation to suction power. So it would be best if you bought a vacuum with average power.
- Ease of Usage: you should buy vacuums that are lightweight and can be easily maneuvered. It would also be great if the vacuum controls are on the handle and not the body, so you don’t have to bend to select your favorite options.
Which are the Best HEPA Filter Vacuum Cleaners this year?
Many great HEPA filter vacuums have been released over the years. Here, we will discuss some of the best HEPA filter vacuum cleaners that have been released this year.
- Miele Blizzard CX1 Excellence:
Miele Blizzard CX1 is the vacuum that has the best performance. The presence of a HEPA AirClean filter increases its charms. It is an excellent vacuum for people who have allergies and respiratory problems. It is not a good vacuum to have if you have bags attached to it since someone else will have to clean it out for you due to allergies. But for the bagless models, it is an ideal option.
It is suitable for all floor types due to the presence of the EcoTeq Plus floor head. Its outstanding performance is also because it has a wattage of 890W, which is lesser than the standard. The suction can be adjusted with the rotatory power control.
- Dyson V8 Animal:
This is one of the best cordless vacuums with a HEPA filter. The name of this vacuum is Animal because it is ideal for getting rid of pet hairs stuck on the cushions, carpets, and rugs. It has a unique mini turbo tool that does it with ease. This is ideal for people with pet hair allergies.
It is an ideal vacuum for all kinds of floors, such as carpets, laminate, and hard floors. The only disadvantage is that it has low dust capacity, and it uses bags, so changing them frequently can be a problem for people with allergies.
- Shark Lift-Away NV601UK Upright:
This vacuum gives an excellent performance and is ideal for people with allergies. This vacuum has a high level of filtration. It includes an Anti-allergen Seal and a HEPA filter together for 99.9 percent filtration. It can catch particles with a diameter of 0.3 microns or more significant.
It has a great design that includes a detachable canister, which you can remove while cleaning the stairs. It is compatible with all floor types, such as hard floors and carpets. It also has lights to see correctly under furniture and tools such as a duster.
It is slightly expensive than the others, but the versatile usage is worth it.
HEPA filter vacuums are relatively common nowadays, and with the increase in air pollution, it is also getting more recommendations. Hopefully, this article has given you enough information that you need to know about HEPA-filter vacuums.