If you live with pets, cleaning your house and removing all the pet hair can be a never-ending task. If you have carpeted floors, getting the hair out of the fine fibres can be quite exhausting.
Equally, hard surfaces such as wood and tile are also challenging when it comes to pet hair. The hair sticks out like a sore thumb on hard flooring, and sweeping several times a day quickly becomes tiresome.
What you need is a vacuum cleaner that is specifically designed for dealing with pet hair. The best vacuum for pet hair will make it easier for the hair to be removed, and will also allow you to vacuum less than usual. Designated pet tools are also a must for dealing with carpet, hard floors, and upholstery.
The following are five vacuum cleaners that seem promising in this regard and have special features that specifically attack stubborn pet hair.
These models are very popular among pet owners, and when you read on you will find out why.
Best Vacuum For Pet Hair Reviews and Recommendations For 2020
Harry Hoover HHR200: Best Pet Hair Vacuum Overall
You may be familiar with Henry Hoover, but did you know that Numatic produces a whole range of vacuum cleaners designed for different purposes?
Harry Hoover HHR200 has a number of extra features that make it ideal for dealing with pet hair and odours.
Along with the usual Henry Hoover features such as powerful suction and large dirt capacity, Harry also has a motorised cleaning head, which is called the HairoBrush. He also has an activated charcoal filter which absorbs pet smells and stops them coming back into your room.
HairoBrush: This is one of the features that distinguish Harry from the rest of the Numatic vacuums and make him the ideal choice for pet hair. The HairoBrush is larger than the standard vacuum heads and it is motorised, making it ideal for removing pet hair that is caught deep inside the carpet. The Hairobrush can also be used for removing pet hair from upholstery and carpeted stairs.
Activated Charcoal Filter: Another benefit of Harry is the addition of an activated charcoal filter. This is a special filter that deals with smells that go into the vacuum. It absorbs pet odours and stops them from escaping back into the room. The only downside to this is that the charcoal filter replaces the HEPA filter from other models. HEPA filters are ideal for capturing allergens, so if you suffer from pet or dust allergies you may need a model that has one.
Powerful Suction Performance: Harry has a power output of 620 watts which is in line with most of the Numatic range. This gives him powerful suction which is essential when dealing with stubborn pet hair. Harry can handle most cleaning jobs with ease, and he has two power modes. ‘Hi’ mode is great for cleaning up pet hair from hard surfaces such as wood and tile, while ‘Lo’ mode is good for carpets where a higher suction may be too powerful to move the vacuum.
Friendly and Unique Design: All Numatic vacuums are brightly coloured and have the classic Henry Hoover smile, and Harry HHR200 is no different. He is bright green in colour and his cheery face adds to the uniqueness. The face can actually be removed from the vacuum, but in all honesty, why would you want to? Vacuuming with Harry feels like you are vacuuming with a friend.
Large Dust Capacity: Harry uses Numatics own HepaFlo bags, which are designed to keep dust and allergens inside the bag. These bags come with a self-seal, so when it is time to change it the chance of dust and dirt escaping is minimal. This is a big difference from some cordless vacuums where a cloud of dust covers the room as you empty the canister.
- All the features of Henry with added extras for dealing with pet hair
- HairoBrush attachment is one of the best pet hair cleaning heads on the market
- MicroFresh filter contains activated charcoal for removing pet odours
- No HEPA filter
- The strong suction and heavy weight can make it awkward to use at first
Shark DuoClean NV801UK: Best Upright Pet Hair Vacuum
A unique, powerful and effective vacuum cleaner for pet owners, the Shark DuoClean Powered Lift-Away has several things to offer. At first look, it’s a traditional, upright vacuum cleaner.
But this device has many other things going it’s way. It easily removes pet hair from thick, carpet fibres, tricky corners and hard to reach areas in your house.
It also has the power of efficient design and swivel steering technology, allowing it to give your home an all-around cleaning. It has a special motorised brush which is designed especially to remove pet hair. The following are the features that I thought were of the most value:
DuoClean Technology: The device has two unique brush rolls which can work simultaneously, allowing it to glide smoothly from carpet to hard floor without stopping or needing a change in settings. The soft brush roll can contact hard floors directly and remove stuck-on dirt while also trying to restore the shine of the floor. The second bristle bar is for carpet fibres. It goes deep into the fabric, removing the minutest particles of dirt and fine hair.
Triple Particle Cleaning: The device is also useful for cleaning three kinds of messes. It easily removes small and large messes, as well as stubborn, stuck-on dirt that refuses to go away otherwise.
Lift-Away: This is one of the most enduring features of the device. If you’re finding the traditional, upright vacuum cleaner limiting to use, you can easily convert the device into a handheld vacuum, with just a click of a button. It has a lightweight, detachable pod which can make the vacuum cleaner handheld and easily portable. This is especially helpful if you want to carry the cleaner down to the garage, for instance, to give your car a quick do-over. You can also clean stairs, tabletops, etc. with complete comfort and satisfaction.
Powered Lift-Away: Not only is the pod detachable, but it also has its own power which is focused on the brush roll. The direct power allows the brush roll to rotate without any external suction. Unlike other vacuum cleaners that rely on suction alone, the detachable pod works effortlessly without the baggage of a cord and can be used to clean areas that are otherwise hard to reach.
Designed for Homes with Pets: It is designed perfectly for homes with pets. The motorised pet brush is designed such that it goes deep into your carpet fibres to get even the most stubborn pet hair out with complete ease. This is not only the best Shark vacuum cleaner, but it is also the best vacuum for pet hair in the UK.
Easy to Use: It is extremely easy to use owing to the swivel steering technology. The handle is designed such that it can be manoeuvered easily and with great comfort. There are also built-in LED lights which allow you to throw light on dust particles and hair hiding in dark crevices.
All Round Cleaning: The cleaner allows you to get to all the nooks and corners of the house. It can even be extended to reach above-the-floor surfaces, like curtains and light fittings. It also comes with handy accessories like dusting and crevice tools. It also employs an anti-allergen technology which uses HEPA-filtration to keep even the finest dust particles out of your home.
- Detachable Lift-Away canister which converts it into a portable cleaner
- DuoClean cleaning head for a more effective and efficient clean
- Excellent at dealing with embedded pet hair
- On the expensive side (although it is on deal a lot of the time)
- Smaller dust capacity than a bagged vacuum – may need to empty more often
Shark DuoClean IF200UKT: Best Cordless Pet Hair Vacuum
An easy and convenient way to get all the stubborn pet hair out of your carpets and crevices in your home, the Shark DuoClean Cordless is an absolute delight for pet owners.
Its cord-free cleaning offers freedom of a whole other kind. No longer do you have to stay tethered to a wire and look for plug points in the room.
This model is good for all kinds of surfaces, carpets or hard floors. It also has special attachments that are built specifically to get stubborn hair and dirt out of surfaces and give your home a clean environment.
The following are some of the features of the product which seem to be of the most use:
DuoClean Technology: The device has two unique brush rolls which work together to give a deep clean. The brushes work together to remove at least three kinds of messes — large and small messes, as well as stubborn, stuck-on dirt. The soft brush roll works on the hard floors and restores the original shine of the floor, while the thicker bristle is perfectly suited to get the dirt out of thick carpet fibres.
Carpets to Hard Floors: The presence of the two brushes and the fact that they can work simultaneously means that the device can move from carpet to hard floors without any hindrance. You don’t have to stop and change the settings or the brush head. The device can just move seamlessly from one surface to another, without stopping. This is especially helpful since it is cordless so you can quite literally clean the whole house in one cleaning session.
All Round Cleaning: The device utilizes a technology called ‘Flexology’, which allows the wand to bend the way you require it to. It can reach underneath low-lying furniture, hard to clean corners and crevices and even surfaces above the floor without any trouble. The wand can be extended with an easy, quick release option which is perfect for cleaning high curtains and light fittings.
Ideal for Pet Owners: The motorised pet power brush is designed especially for stubborn hair. You can use this brush in the unique handheld mode, which the device can easily be turned into. Clean stairs, furniture and even your car with this powerful cordless hand vacuum.
Reach Anywhere: ‘Flexology’ allows this device to reach anywhere. It can bend to reach underneath a sofa, saving your back while doing it since it does the bending for you. With one click, the quick release wand can also be extended to reach higher surfaces above the floor. Besides, the hand vacuum mode ensures you can get better control when cleaning stairs, tabletops, etc. Because This Shark is so light, it is one of the best vacuums for stair cleaning.
Store Anywhere: The device can also be stored anywhere with ease. Since it is cordless, there is no hassle of untidy power cords taking up space. It is also completely free-standing and does not need wall support or storage hooks to be stowed away. But the most important feature is the Flexi wand which can be halved in size with only a single click. You can park the vacuum cleaner anywhere with ease.
Charge Anywhere: Since the vacuum cleaner is cordless, of course, it needs to be charged every now and then. The device comes with removable, rechargeable lithium-ion batteries that can be charged anytime, anywhere. Other corded vacuums are limited to specific charging stations. With the Shark DuoClean Cordless, you can simply charge the battery in situ or remove the battery and charge it elsewhere, using any outlet in your home. You can also purchase additional batteries to ensure the charge does not run out mid-clean. The cleaner lasts 22 minutes with a charge time of 3.5 hours. It weighs 4 kgs.
- DuoClean cleaning head for excellent performance on carpets and hard floors
- Flexology technology allows you to easily clean hard-to-reach areas
- Very versatile – can convert into a handheld cleaner
- 22-minute run time is shorter than other cordless models
- Needs to be cleaned more often that a bagged vacuum
Dyson V8 Animal: Best Dyson Pet Hair Vacuum
A powerful cleaner that comes with a variety of tools to give your home all-around cleaning, the Dyson V8 Animal is a satisfying cleaner for pet owners. Its bristles go deep into the carpet fibres to remove even the minutest particles of dust and dirt.
This machine also captures allergens and lets out air that is cleaner than when you originally started vacuuming. It is powered by a nickel-cobalt aluminium battery which delivers suction for up to 40 minutes, depending on the tool you’re using. The following are some of the features I found useful in the course of my research:
Direct Drive Cleaner Head: The cleaner head is powerful and drives the bristles deeper into the carpet and its thick fibres to ensure all the dirt gets pulled in. It claims to have 150% more brush power than its predecessor, Dyson V6 Animal vacuum.
Whole Machine Filtration: The whole machine filtration technology allows the device to capture even minute allergens and release a cleaner, more breathable air. This is a great feature to have if you or anybody in your home is prone to allergies.
Battery Life: The device is cordless and provides up to 40 minutes of suction power without fading. The battery runtime could be up to 25 minutes when used with the motorised floor tool attached. It is powered by a new nickel cobalt aluminium battery that can be charged with ease.
Hygienic Dirt Ejector: The device is extremely easy to clean out. You only have to click a single button to eject all the dirt without coming in contact with the dirt. Just release it into a dustbin and you can forget all about it.
Tools: The device comes with several handy tools that are useful for making your home spotless, like the direct-drive cleaner head, mini motorised tool, docking station, combination tool and rigid crevice tool.
- Up to 40 minutes of fade-free suction power
- Lot’s of tools and attachments for any cleaning tasks – great for pets
- Whole machine HEPA filtration – great for allegies
- Battery cannot be removed to be charged
- Smaller dust capacity than a bagged vacuum – may need to empty more often
Vax H85-GA-P18 Gator Handheld: Best Budget Pet Hair Vacuum
The Vax H85-GA-P18 Gator is a cordless handheld vacuum that has been specifically designed for pet hair. A handheld model is good for a quick clean-up of pet hair, but it will never replace your main vacuum.
I wanted to include this as a cheaper alternative for those who want to tackle the pet hair in their home, but are not ready to replace their main vacuum cleaner.
The Vax H85-GA-P18 Gator is portable, convenient, and will give you up to 20 minutes of cleaning time. It has a powered turbo cleaning head which is ideal for lifting stubborn pet hair, and the easy to empty dirt bin allows you to quickly get back to cleaning.
This is the top-performing handheld for pet hair, and now we’ll look at some of the features and benefits.
Cheap Price: The main benefit of the VaxH85 Gator is the price. This costs a fraction of the other models on this page, meaning you can easily purchase this as a second vacuum just for pet hair. Even though it is cheap, it still has powerful suction and a few tools to aid you in your pet hair removal.
Cordless Convenience: Cordless handheld vacuums like this Vax are ideal for quick spot cleans. If you notice a clump of pet hair on your carpet or sofa you can quickly clean it up without the hassle of having to take your main vacuum out. Although the 20 minute run time may seem short, you have to remember that this is not designed to clean your whole house. For quick clean-ups of pet hair, 20 minutes is a sufficient amount of time.
Motorised TurboTool: The Vax H85-GA-P18 features a motorized TurboTool, which is great for lifting pet hair from carpets and upholstery. The TurboTool has a wide nozzle, meaning you can clean more surface area which saves battery life. This Vax handheld also comes with a crevice tool, allowing you to clean hard to reach areas with ease.
Ideal for Stairs: Thanks to the size and convenience, the Vax Gator is ideal for cleaning your stairs. It means you can avoid having to dangerously balance a heavy upright or cylinder on your stairs, and the motorized tool will lift any ground-in dirt and hair.
Easy Empty Dirt Bin: The dirt bin is 0.3 litres so while it isn’t huge, it is good for a handheld vacuum and it helps to keep the weight down. It shouldn’t take too long to empty thanks to the easy empty dirt bin, simply hold the vacuum over your bin and press the release button. It may be a good idea to empty it into an outside bin to avoid a cloud of dust filling your room.
- Built in crevice tools for cleaning difficult, hard to reach areas
- Powered turbo head cleans upholstery and pet hair effortlessly
- Gator mouth technology makes it easier to empty without any mess
- Hair tends to get tangled in the brush bar
- Heavier than other handheld vacuums
Best Vacuum For Pet Hair: A Complete Buying Guide
Now that you know what the best vacuum for pet hair in the UK is, it may be handy to see what to look for when purchasing a vacuum cleaner specifically for pet hair.
So far I have touched upon the special features of each of the products I have picked out as options. What are the things you need to deliberate upon to make a more informed decision?
The following is a checklist you can use to see if the vacuum cleaner you’re looking at is good for dealing with pet hair.
- What are your specific requirements? The vacuum cleaner you eventually purchase should fit your specific requirements over anything else. In this case, you want a vacuum that will help you to deal with pet hair and other pet messes. So think about what you actually need, and what the vacuum cleaner provides. Does it have powerful suction to suck up large amounts of pet hair? Does it have a brush bar to remove pet hair stuck in the carpet?
- How heavy is it? If your pet sheds its hair a lot, you will need to vacuum regularly. A lightweight vacuum will make it easier to vacuum frequently, and will also enable you to clean different levels of your home with ease. Most upright, traditional vacuum cleaners are powerful but also tend to be heavier. If you can find a lightweight vacuum cleaner that is powerful, consider it as an option.
- How good is the filtration? Any good vacuum cleaner should have an effective filter, especially if you are dealing with pet hair. It should be able to pull even fine dust particles in. While some vacuum cleaners have an anti-allergen technology and HEPA filtration, even if the vacuum cleaner checks the basic standards of filtration off the list, that’s a plus. Of course, if you are prone to pet hair allergies, you should probably look for one that specifically employs an anti-allergen technology.
- Is the cleaner bagged or bagless? There are both varieties commonly available in the market and both have their pros and cons. If a vacuum cleaner is bagged, it seals off all the dirt for you so you don’t have to be exposed to it even when you’re cleaning it. With a bagless vacuum cleaner, you will have to clean out the dirt into a container yourself and there’s a chance you will be exposed to the dust. But it does reduce the added hassle of changing the bags every now and then.
- How noisy is it? Any vacuum cleaner is bound to make noise. But if it is only noise and no power, you might as well get rid of it. If you can find a quieter alternative that creates a powerful enough suction, you should consider it as an option.
- Own a pet? If you have a dog or cat you should look towards a motorised brush head to keep stubborn pet hair under control, there are plenty of models available including cordless models
Read More: What is the best vacuum cleaner in the UK?
What To Look For In A Pet Hair Vacuum
A sales pitch for a vacuum cleaner will describe several uses. But how useful is it for dealing with pet hair, specifically? The following are some basic features that any pet-specific vacuum cleaner must have:
- Clean Corners and Crevices: Any good vacuum cleaner should be able to reach tricky areas that are otherwise hard to clean. This includes getting into awkward corners or dark crevices where pet hair has a habit of collecting. It would be helpful if the vacuum cleaner has suitable onboard tools to help deal with stubborn or hidden pet hair.
- Clean Different Surfaces: A good pet vacuum cleaner should be versatile enough to work on different surfaces. It should glide easily from carpet to hard floor, preferably without needing any changes in the settings. Pet hair tends to get tangled up in carpet fibres, and a motorised brush has a better chance of cleaning carpeted floors and thick carpet fibres. It is also important to have a soft dusting brush to deal with pet dander on your hard floors.
- Get Underneath Low-Lying Furniture: A good pet vacuum cleaner should also be flexible enough to get underneath low-lying furniture, like the sofa, to be able to clean surfaces that are hard to reach. Pet hair accumulates underneath furniture and dander creates dust that will lay on all surfaces, so look for a vacuum that can tackle both.
- Above-the-Floor Surfaces: You will need to clean above the floor surfaces frequently too and a vacuum cleaner should have the ability to extend and clean high curtains, alcoves high up in the wall, light fittings, etc. Ideally, the vacuum cleaner should have a quick-release extension to get to higher, above-the-floor surfaces.
- Filtration: The idea of vacuuming is to get the finer dust particles and pet hair out of your home. Naturally, filtration is a very important feature for any pet vacuum cleaner to have. It should be able to suck in fine particles and also keep them from going back into the air via the exhaust. Even if it does not offer HEPA filtration, a vacuum cleaner should at least meet the basic standards of filtration.
Are Pet Hair Specific Vacuum Cleaners More Expensive?
Vacuum cleaners that are specifically designed for dealing with pet hair are usually more expensive than non-pet hair vacuums.
This is due to the fact that they often have better filtration systems designed to capture pet dander and other pet odours. They also usually have more attachments which allow you to clean pet hair from every surface of your home.
You also have to ensure that the vacuum is well-made and will last a long time. Living with a shedding pet will mean more frequent vacuuming, and large amounts of pet hair will put the vacuum cleaner under greater strain. It’s a good idea to look for a vacuum that offers a good warranty, such as Shark or Dyson.
What Features Do Pet Hair Vacuums Have?
Described above are the basic features that a pet-specific vacuum cleaner should have. But now I would like to focus on the specific special features of the vacuum cleaners I have listed. Take a look at the specific, unique features and decide which one suits you and your pets the best.
Designed Specifically For Dealing With Pet Hair
A feature that’s common for all products, the vacuum cleaners are good buys for dealing with pet hair. The Shark vacuum cleaners I have mentioned have motorised pet power brushes to give a wholesome clean and pick up even the finest particles of pet hair.
The Dyson V8’s powerful brush can also pick up fleas and ticks that might have jumped off your pet when using pest treatments such as dog flea collars.
All of the vacuums have efficient tools and add-ons to make the cleaning process an all-round success.
Of course, to minimise pet hair in general, it’s advised to regularly groom your pet and invest in a comfortable dog crate or cat bed to stop them from sleeping on the furniture. Grooming gloves work best for picking up hair, and even the best grooming gloves are super affordable.
Lift-Away Technology To Clean Hard To Reach Areas
This feature is only available in the Shark DuoClean Powered Lift-Away models. This unique technology allows a lightweight detachable pod on the otherwise upright vacuum cleaner to become a portable hand vacuum.
This is useful for removing pet hair from various different surfaces like stairs, tabletops and even the carpets in your car.
What makes it even more useful is the powered Lift-Away option which allows the brush rolls to rotate even without suction, lifting stubborn pet hair with a minimum of fuss. Most other devices rely on suction for power but the brush head on this one works on its own.
LED Light For Finding Hidden Pet Hair
The Shark DuoClean models also have an in-built LED light in the vacuum head which allows you to see pet hair and dirt particles hiding away in dark crevices. The powerful LED light ensures no pet hair can get away, even it dark and hard to reach areas.
Cordless Or Corded
The Shark DuoClean Cordless and the Dyson V8 are both cordless vacuums. While the Shark DuoClean has a rechargeable lithium-ion battery, the Dyson has a new nickel cobalt aluminium battery.
Between the two, the Dyson seems to have a longer runtime, with the battery going up to 40 minutes when not being used with the attachable tools. The runtime of the Shark DuoClean is 22 minutes.
The other vacuums are corded models. While this does mean you are limited by a power cable, it also means you will not run out of power halfway through cleaning.
Lightweight Design Is Better For Regular Cleaning
When dealing with large amounts of pet hair, you will most likely need to clean more often. A lighter vacuum cleaner will make this process more manageable.
At 2 kgs, the Dyson V8 Animal is the lightest vacuum cleaner of the ones I have mentioned. The Shark DuoClean Cordless follows at 4 kgs and finally, the Shark DuoClean Powered Lift-Away is the heaviest at 6.1 kgs.
Filtration System Designed To Cope With Pet Hair And Smells
The Shark DuoClean Powered Lift-Away provides HEPA filtration, which is great to have if you are prone to allergies. The Dyson V8 also offers whole machine filtration, which captures allergens and ensures a cleaner air is released out of the exhaust.
As well as dealing with pet hair, people who live with pets also have to deal with various pet smells. Harry Hoover is the only vacuum on this list that contains a charcoal filter, which absorbs bad odours and leaves your room smelling fresh.
Best Vacuum For Pet Hair: Final Thoughts
From all the assessments made so far, it seems the Harry Hoover HHR200 wins hands down. Not only is it a powerful vacuum cleaner that is capable of dealing with vast amounts of pet hair, but it also has a great filtration system that is designed to capture any bad odours.
As a good pet hair vacuum cleaner, it provides tools and accessories designed specifically for picking up pet hair. While the other cleaners have their merits too, the Harry Hoover HHR200 offers many more features that make it a great buy. I can fully recommend this as the best vacuum for pet hair in the UK.
- Miele Blizzard Cat & Dog Powerline review
- Miele Compact C2 review
- Shark HV390UKT review
- Miele Complete C3 Cat & Dog review