Autumn is a beautiful time of the year but can easily turn into a nightmare when you see large piles of dried leaves hanging around your front porch or backyard. Not only are they aesthetically not pleasing to the eye (except in pictures of the fall), they can also be a nuisance to your health because of all the slippery surfaces.
Clearing them out on a regular basis can be a task that most of you probably don’t enjoy but that’s where garden vacuums and blowers come in. These appliances are easy to use and make getting rid of those dried leaves literally a breeze.
The Stihl SHE 71 is a multi-function appliance that can be used as a garden vacuum, a shredder, as well as a leaf blower, making it a great investment if you’re looking for an all-in-one garden-cleaning device that will work wonders in both homes and gardens of all sizes.
Does this sound like something that you will use around your house? Keep reading to find out more details about this garden appliance that will make your cleaning job so much faster and more efficient.
Stihl SHE 71 Review: Specifications
- Additional Features: 580 m³/h Air Throughput
- CE Approved: Yes
- Attachments: Blower Tube & Flat Nozzle
- Guarantee (Commercial): 1 Year
- Guarantee (Domestic): 2 Years
- Harness Included: Yes
- Noise level in dB(A)/LWA: 85dB(A)
- Power Cable Length: 10 metres with strain relief
- Product ID No.: 48110110823
- Vibrations:2m/s²/0.8m/s² (Left/Right)
- Voltage: 50HZ 230v
- Wattage: 1,100 watts
About the Stihl SHE 71 Cordless Leaf Blower
Unlike the all-in-one devices like the Flymo Gardenvac 2700 Turbo, this appliance is based on the multi-tube design of garden vacuums and blowers. It comes with a large number of extra tubes and attachments that can be changed over to complete different tasks.
The Stihl SHE 71 comes fitted with a high power of 1100 watts and offers high suction levels, being a great option in the multi-function category. The long blower tube can split into two parts for easier storage. You can choose between the straight nozzle (which comes with the appliance) and the optional upward curving one (that can be added for a small extra cost) for the end piece. It is possible to adjust the length of the tube by choosing between two sets of slots to lock into the nozzle piece. For air intake, the SHE 71 comes with a grille cap.
The vacuum mode comes with a tube that is larger than the blower tube. It is also split into two sections and can be attached to the intake as well as the bag that is attached to a shoulder strap.
The appliance comes with a 10-metre power cable that is extremely convenient for smaller gardens. It lets you blow or vacuum according to your needs. There is also a strain relief feature that saves the blower from damage.
The Stihl SHE 71 Electric Leaf Blower Vacuum Shredder is equipped with the ability to change tubes to fulfil multiple functions by simply changing the attachment at the end. These attachments vary for both the vacuum mode as well as the blowing mode.
Cable Strain Relief
A great feature of the appliance is the cable strain relief that is integrated into the SHE 71 handle. It comes with a plastic bit and a spring clamp that make it possible for you to loop a small section of the cable around it. This allows the device to absorb the strain that is felt when you stretch the cable too far and prevents it from being pulled out of the plug.
Stihl’s SHE 71 is equipped with a 45-litre textile catcher bag for its vacuum function. It also serves as a great dust filter and is also very easy to empty using the zip at the bottom. So don’t worry about getting your hands dirty!
What We Liked
- Easy to Handle Because of Excellent Ergonomics: The appliance is very easy to handle because of the second handle that is provided on the SHE 71. It is a protrusion at the front of the main handle and is well positioned so that your second hand can hold on to it. This helps you to get the cleaning done with both your hands being used so that too much weight and pressure isn’t on just one hand.
- Powerful Functioning Despite Regular 1100W Motor: The appliance may not be the strongest in the category but it does give you great output for the 1,100-watt motor. This means that the Stihl SHE 71 can give you a pretty impressive 580m3/h of air throughput.
- Quieter Than Most Other Competition: This garden vacuum and blower is relatively quieter than most of its rival in the same category with a noise level of 85dB.
What We Didn’t Like
- Multi-tube Design Inconvenient for Storage: While the multi-tube design works well for the job, it can be inconvenient to store all the different parts that come with the appliance. It is also a little cumbersome to keep switching modes.
- More on the Expensive Side: You may not be able to justify the pricing for the Stihl SHE 71 with its function. It is not the most powerful machine in the category, and neither the cheapest.
- Shoulder Collection Bag Is Awkward: The shoulder collection bag that comes with the appliance for the vacuum mode is a little awkward around the arm. While most garden vacuums come with bags that hang under the intake tube, the collection bag in the SHE 71 comes with a shoulder strap as it hangs loose.
Stihl SHE 71 Review: Final Thoughts
The shoulder bag can be chunky and the idea of a special multi-tube style may not make complete sense when there are actual all-in-one designs that only require a switch to be changed between sucking and blowing.
However, if you’re looking for a basic model that works as a garden vacuum as well as a leaf blower, the Stihl SHE 71 can be a good option. It boasts of decent power and comes with a great ergonomic design that makes it easy to use, especially in the blower mode.