Last year the European Commission banned vacuum cleaners that had a maximum power consumption exceeding 900W. Previously, this limit stood at 1600W.
The new rules also require vacuums to emanate noise under 80 decibels. The reason this step was taken was to reduce overall household energy consumption and to reduce pollution levels.
The Dyson Light Ball Multi Floor vacuum is part of this new generation of vacuum cleaners. The features that made Dyson’s Ball vacuums popular are all available in this new model, except the power which has been trimmed. But that doesn’t affect the performance of this upright vacuum.
Specifications Of The Dyson Ball Light
- Weight:9 kg
- Cord Length:4 m
- Maximum Reach:8 m
- Bin Capacity:6 litres
- Power: 700W
- Cleaner Head: Epicyclic Cleaner Head
- Filtration: Washable lifetime filter
- Suction Power (Powerful Mode): 90 AW
- Dimensions: 1057 mm (Height) x 384 mm (Length) x 281 mm (Width)
- Energy Efficiency Class: A
- Dust Re-emission Class: A
- Decibel Level: 80dB
About the Dyson Ball Multi Floor
If you have used other Dyson vacuums featuring the ball technology/design, then this vacuum will be quite familiar to you. The drop in weight and the reduction in power aside, it has the same basic design as the earlier models. The ball technology makes it really simple to manoeuver the vacuum around furniture and other objects in a room. However, in my experience, if you use a vacuum over extended periods of time, then even the 6.9 kg weight no longer feels light.
If you, like me, clean once over the weekend, then it’s possible that after a point this vacuum might feel like a drag. Another point that needs to be mentioned is that the size of the ball itself is such that it can’t slide under low sofas or beds. So, that’s something you should keep in mind.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m not criticising this vacuum. I’m just trying to make you aware of certain potential issues you might face, depending on how you use the vacuum. The one thing that I particularly love about this upright vacuum is the fact that it’s bagless. Dust leakage or escape from dust bags is a terrible problem, especially if you or someone at home suffers from dust allergies. That’s the reason this vacuum has a dust re-emission rating of A.
In fact, the Dyson Light Ball Multi Floor vacuum has been certified as asthma and allergy friendly by the Allergy Standards Limited, which is an international certification body headquartered in Dublin, Ireland. Before a vacuum cleaner is certified by the Allergy Standards Limited, it undergoes stringent testing to determine the level to which it can eliminate allergenic particles when it’s new and after a few years.
Read More: The history of Dyson
The only major area of concern for me was the performance, or rather the lack of it, while dealing with pet hair, especially those embedded in carpets, stuck on the sofa or other upholstery around the house. Dyson does have something called the Tangle-Free Turbine Tool, which you will have to purchase separately, that deals with pet hair. This tool is available with the Dyson Light Ball Animal vacuum cleaner, which is also a new generation Dyson vacuum.
- Radial Root Cyclone Technology: It optimises the airflow to ensure that dust and especially allergenic particles are captured efficiently. This is one of the primary reasons that the Dyson Light Ball Multi Floor received the Allergy Standards Limited certification.
- Variable Suction Tool: This vacuum features a suction tool with three power modes or levels, which you can shift between depending on the type of surface you’re cleaning. So, for carpets, rugs and debris the top level is ideal, the medium level works fine for most other surfaces and the low level is ideal for delicate surfaces.
- Instant-Release Wand: The wand is 90 centimetres in length. Combine this with the stretchable hose, which is 3 meter in length, and you get excellent reach.
- Combination Tools: You also get a set of five accessories to augment the cleaning. There are two brush heads, two crevice tools and one zigzag dusting brush. One of the brush heads is smaller than the other, one of the crevice tools can be extended to reach nooks and crannies and the dusting brush is great for cupboards, mantels, etc.
- Hygienic Bin: First the bin needs to be removed from the vacuum cleaner itself, which just requires the press of a button. You need to press the same button once again to open the flap, which is located at the bottom. Next, you will have to pull open the flap and empty the bin.
Read More: What to do if your Dyson has lost suction
What We Liked About This Dyson
- It’s affordably priced and yet doesn’t compromise on performance in any sense. In fact, it outperforms some of it’s more power-heavy and expensive competitors. See how it compares to the Henry Hoover Compact by reading this article.
- Even though the decibel level mentioned in the specifications is 80dB, in practice it emanates only about 65dB. That’s such a relief.
- Its allergenic particles removal capabilities coupled with the fact that it’s bagless has a significant impact on the air quality inside the house. If you suffer from dust allergies or asthma, then this is the ideal vacuum for you.
- The three different suction levels ensure that this vacuum does a good job of cleaning all types of surfaces, particularly hardwood surfaces. Along with this, the front-edge cleaning ability of the vacuum is topnotch.
What We Didn’t Like About This Dyson
- While it can manoeuver well around objects, it’s not good at sliding under low furniture like sofas and beds. This is primarily because of the size of the ball.
- It can’t handle pet hair to any level of satisfaction. For this, you will have to purchase a separate tool from Dyson, which then effectively increases the price of the vacuum.
If you do not have a pet at home, then the Dyson Light Ball Multi Floor can the perfect vacuum cleaner for you. Yes, the affordable price makes it attractive, but the reason why this is such a good vacuum is it has an excellent level of performance. It can deal with all types of surfaces, it is a bagless vacuum, it helps prevent allergies and does all of this without consuming too much power and quietly. However, the moment stubborn pet hair come into the picture, then you will have to consider purchasing an extra tool to help out.